Xref ranked #1 among the top 9 reference checking software providers on G2. Reference checking companies on this list have proven their commitment and value based on thousands of verified reviews. We’re thrilled to receive this ranking; it independently validates our customers’ success in hiring while using our software. The list of free Reference Check Software features products that offer a free trial version. As with most free versions, there are some limitations, typically time or features.
Xref’s Free trial version
If you have questions about Xref’s free trial, take a look at the FAQ’s below or head to our FAQs blog.
Q&As about Xref’s free trial version
Can I try Xref for free?
Do I need to provide my credit card details?
You don’t need to provide your credit card details for a free trial.
Can I start referencing a candidate today?
Yes, you can start using your free trial immediately.
Can I set up an enterprise account?
Yes, you can. An enterprise account includes a full-featured platform that can be customised and a dedicated support team for higher-volume hiring.
What is the average turnaround time for Xref’s reference checks?
Digital referencing on the Xref platform typically takes 24-36 hours.
What is reference checking software?
It is software that automates the process of requesting and collecting references for candidates. Removing the manual intervention of recruiters having to reach out to referees streamlines the reference checking process, saving time and resources. You could try Xref for free.
How is software rated on G2?
G2 scores products and vendors based on reviews gathered from its user community and data aggregated from online sources and social networks. G2 applies a unique algorithm to the gathered data to calculate the customer satisfaction and market presence scores in real-time. Reviewers on G2 are authentic, verified and unbiased. Xref also recently ranked #11 on G2’s list of Best ANZ Sellers for 2021, which recognises the top software providers across Australia and New Zealand.
Top Free Reference Checking Software
Reference checking software products are based on real-user satisfaction ratings that are calculated by G2’s proprietary algorithm. User satisfaction ratings are affected by the following:
- Customer satisfaction with Xref based on user reviews.
- Popularity and statistical significance based on the number of reviews received by G2.
- Quality of reviews received (reviews that are more thoroughly completed will be weighted more heavily).
- Age of reviews (more-recent reviews provide relevant and up-to-date information that is reflective of the current state of a product).
- Customers’ satisfaction of Xref as a provider based on user reviews.
- Overall customer satisfaction and Net Promoter Score® (NPS) based on ratings by G2 users.
Top users who have endorsed Xref come from the staffing, hospital, healthcare, IT and not-for-profit industries. Xref has earned its place on the list because of ease of use, ease of set up & quality of support, among other ratings. Check out the list of free Reference Check Software.
Easiest To Use Reference Check Software
Xref has also ranked #1 as the easiest to use reference checking software. This product usability score is calculated on user satisfaction ratings of how easy the tool is to administer and how well the product meets business requirements. Designed to support small, mid-market and enterprise businesses, we empower all hiring teams to recruit the best candidates for their organisation with simplicity and ease.
Here’s how we stack up against other free reference checking software providers for this ranking.
What Makes Xref the Best of Breed Solution?
- Automates your hiring process and saves time: Hiring teams are always in a rush to close positions; the Xref tool can automate the last but crucial step to speed up the hiring process. This may save you from losing your candidate to the competition if they have multiple offers on the table.
- Works at the referee’s convenience: Not all referees can take a call on the fly; they might want time to recall and prepare for that check. And you would prefer to get a thoughtful reference check to ensure you have the right person for the job, making Xref an excellent tool as it continues to work for you, outside of regular working hours and timezones.
- Works better than traditional phone-based checking: Not all referees have time to have a long phone conversation, especially during working hours. While most people would be happy to act out of goodwill, referees may give short answers to speed up the conversation and get back to what they were doing.
- Adds an extra layer of security: As a hiring company, you’re in contact with sensitive employee data gathered from online reference checking. Sensitive candidate data must be secure; Xref ensures that the right data security, compliance, and privacy measures are in place.
- Stellar customer service: You want to be sure that several communication lines open to you if you need them after the sale has taken place. Our customers vouch for our gold star customer support.
- Detects unusual activity: A reliable online reference checking system can detect suspicious activity and flag any potentially fraudulent movements. Our platform has detected more than 500 cases of unusual activity per month in the last six months. Our customers are automatically notified of unusual activities, such as two people accessing the questionnaire from the same IP address. In some instances, this may not be the reason to disqualify the candidate, but it can certainly assure you about the accuracy of feedback that you will receive.
- Customisable experience: The ability to tailor the entire reference checking process with custom branding, bespoke communication with candidates and references, and unlimited reference templates that can be added with ease, creates a better experience for everyone involved and delivers more informative insights.
- Provides insights to benchmark candidates: Insights gathered from Xref’s online reference checking tool can help you hire smarter. Data-driven insights can move your decision from a gut feeling to a dependable choice; the same insights can stop you from making a bad hire. When people are your greatest asset, you want to hire right the first time, every time.
- Integrates well with ATS: Busy HR teams don’t have time to switch between applications; a seamless system can help you change from manual to automated solutions resulting in better productivity.
Category leader with a customer-first mindset
We’ve been in the business for more than 10 years; intentional focus on our customers’ success drives everything we do. We cannot thank our loyal customers enough for their dedication and time in sharing their positive experiences with Xref. Here are some of our favourites reviews:
Helena, People & Operations Advisor says that Xref is “Great for getting references in another time zone, easy to alter questionnaire. We use Xref on a weekly basis and our hiring managers find the reports easy to follow and understand. I have used Xref at two companies now and at both places, it's been a breeze. One of the best reasons we keep using Xref is that it saves us TIME!”
"Ease of use for both candidate and recruiter - from initiating references to keeping and accessing old files, Xref is very simple to use. Xref puts the responsibility back into the hands of the candidate and eliminates the need for hiring managers to spend time calling and coordinating with a candidate's references. Xref's reference templates eliminate the possibility of hiring managers asking off the cuff and inappropriate questions. Xref's emailed reference checks allow the reference to complete the check on their own time, resulting in more thorough and thoughtful answers than the typical on the spot reference phone call." Meagan D, Manager, People and Culture.
Another reviewer says, “I like how easy it makes it to conduct references which usually take up a fair amount of time to complete. People are also generally more willing to complete references this way as it takes less time for them to complete, and they can do it in their own time. It is easy to use once you have learnt how to do so. The follow-up emails to the candidate are good reminders for them to complete the Xref and follow up with their referees. Easy to access the information given and easy to download. I like that you can filter the information that you save to send to the client/manager. It is easy to build a template of what you want to be asked in the reference which is useful when you have different roles you are recruiting for as not all questions will be applicable to all positions.”
We’d love to share what our customers worldwide already know; try Xref for free.
G2, the world’s leading business solution review platform, leverages 1M+ user reviews to drive better purchasing decisions. Every month, millions of people visit G2’s site to gain unique insights. Business professionals, buyers, investors, and analysts use the site to compare and select the best software and services based on peer reviews and synthesised social data.